Many people believe that weightlifting impairs flexibility. Is this true?
Athletes were once advised not to lift weights because it would make them stiff and inflexible, and hurt their performance.
Well, we now know better. Sure, being a hulking brute naturally limits your flexibility (big bodybuilders have an interesting time wiping on the toilet and showering), but research has shown that weightlifting itself, with a full range of motion, actually increases flexibility just as well as, or even better than, static stretching.
In a study conducted by the University of North Dakota, researchers divided 25 volunteers into three groups: a control group (that did nothing, of course), a static stretching group, and a resistance training group.
The result after five weeks: the researchers found no significant difference between the static stretching and resistance training groups in all measures of flexibility (hip extension, hip flexion, shoulder extension, knee extension).
Another study conducted by Castelo Branco University in Brazil showed that 8 weeks of resistance training improved flexibility better than static stretching in all but one measurement.
The reality is that weight training with proper form increases flexibility because you’re repeatedly moving muscles, joints, and ligaments through their full ranges of motion.
In fact, some exercises provide deep stretches that are hard to beat, such as the Dumbbell Fly, Romanian Deadlift, Dumbbell Pullover, Dumbbell Row, and Overhead Triceps Press.
So, improved flexibility is yet another reason to use a full range of motion in weightlifting (in addition to preventing injuries and improving strength gains and muscle growth).
Have you experienced the flexibility benefits of weightlifting? Anything else to add? Let me know in the comments below!
If you want a "paint-by-numbers," step-by-step blueprint for building a muscular, lean, strong body...faster than you ever thought possible...then you want to check out my bestselling books.
Here's a little sneak peek of what you'll learn inside...
- The 7 biggest muscle building myths & mistakes that keep guys small, weak, and frustrated. (These BS lies are pushed by all the big magazines and even by many trainers.)
- How to build meal plans that allow you to build muscle, lose fat, and get healthy with ease…eating foods you love (yes, including those deemed “unclean” by certain “gurus”)…and never feeling starved, deprived, or like you’re “on a diet.”
- The 5 biggest fat loss myths & mistakes that keep women overweight, disappointed, and confused. (These BS lies are pushed by all the big magazines and even by many trainers.)
- An all-in-one training system that delivers MAXIMUM results for your efforts…spending no more than 3 to 6 hours in the gym every week…doing workouts that energize you, not wipe you out.
- A no-BS guide to supplements that will save you hundreds if not THOUSANDS of dollars each year that you would’ve wasted on products that are nothing more than bunk science and marketing hype.
- And a whole lot more!
The bottom line is you CAN achieve that “Hollywood body" without having your life revolve around it. No long hours in the gym, no starving yourself, and no grueling cardio that turns your stomach.
My book will show you how. Get it today and let’s build a body you can be proud of.
Bigger Leaner Stronger
Thinner Leaner Stronger