If you want to know what the Valsalva maneuver is, why people use it, whether or not it’s safe, and how to do it correctly, then you want to listen to this episode.
“Remember to breath” someone says as they walk past you while you’re sporting your tomato face during a hard set of squats.
You nod, smile, and ignore them, but you also wonder . . . could they be right?
You’ve heard more and more noise about how holding your breath while lifting could be dangerous.
This technique is officially known as the Valsalva maneuver, and it’s become quite a controversial subject among us fitness folk.
Some say it increases your risk of fainting, aneurysm, stroke, and blood vessel damage. They also claim there’s no evidence that it improves your performance or makes lifting any safer, so it’s all risk and no reward.
This is why many trainers tell their clients to breathe continuously while lifting, why doctors often tell their patients not to use the Valsalva maneuver, and why the American Heart Association warns against it, too.
A few minutes of digging on the Internet brings up videos of people collapsing, dropping barbells on themselves, and passing out and crashing face first into the ground. (I’ll spare you the gory details, but if you want to see for yourself, Google “original deadlift passout video.” It’s not pretty).
Others say the Valsalva maneuver is not only safe, but an essential technique for safely lifting heavy weight.
Well, the short story is this:
The Valsalva maneuver could increase the risk of stroke, blood vessel damage, and fainting, but only for a handful of people with a high risk of cardiovascular problems. For otherwise healthy people, the Valsalva maneuver is a safe way to you lift more weight and will probably lower your risk of injury, too.
By the end of this episode, you’ll know what the Valsalva maneuver is, why people use it, whether or not it’s as dangerous as many people say it is, who should and shouldn’t use it, how to do it correctly, and more.
Let’s start at square one.
Oh and if you like this episode want to be be notified when new episodes go live, then head on over to iTunes, Stitcher, YouTube, Soundcloud, Spotify, iHeartRadio, or Google Play and subscribe.
Lastly, if you want to support the show, please drop a quick review of it over on iTunes. It really helps!
What did you think of this episode? Have anything else to share? Let me know in the comments below!
If you want a "paint-by-numbers," step-by-step blueprint for building a muscular, lean, strong body...faster than you ever thought possible...then you want to check out my bestselling books.
Here's a little sneak peek of what you'll learn inside...
- The 7 biggest muscle building myths & mistakes that keep guys small, weak, and frustrated. (These BS lies are pushed by all the big magazines and even by many trainers.)
- How to build meal plans that allow you to build muscle, lose fat, and get healthy with ease…eating foods you love (yes, including those deemed “unclean” by certain “gurus”)…and never feeling starved, deprived, or like you’re “on a diet.”
- The 5 biggest fat loss myths & mistakes that keep women overweight, disappointed, and confused. (These BS lies are pushed by all the big magazines and even by many trainers.)
- An all-in-one training system that delivers MAXIMUM results for your efforts…spending no more than 3 to 6 hours in the gym every week…doing workouts that energize you, not wipe you out.
- A no-BS guide to supplements that will save you hundreds if not THOUSANDS of dollars each year that you would’ve wasted on products that are nothing more than bunk science and marketing hype.
- And a whole lot more!
The bottom line is you CAN achieve that “Hollywood body" without having your life revolve around it. No long hours in the gym, no starving yourself, and no grueling cardio that turns your stomach.
My book will show you how. Get it today and let’s build a body you can be proud of.
Bigger Leaner Stronger
Thinner Leaner Stronger